The Director of Music/Organist, is in charge of the choir of males and females – all ages and musical abilities. This choir leads the singing at St Martin’s for choral services and weddings, on request, and has the luxury of being accompanied by the best parish organ around.
When the organ was constructed by Nicholson of Worcester in 1928, it incorporated a pneumatic action with twenty speaking stops. Although well constructed, with good quality pipework, the scheme was incomplete, none of the stops exceeding the pitch of 4ft. This situation remained until 1975 when the organ was cleaned and extended. Further additions were made in 1985.
The refurbishment in 2000 was the Parish Millennium Project. The organ was reconstructed to incorporate a completely new electro-pneumatic action and the specification was increased to thirty-four speaking stops. In July 2010, to mark the Centenary of St Martin’s Church, a six-bell Zimbelstern was added.
Apart from the 1928 construction, the re-design and all works were carried out by Trevor G. Tipple of Worcester.
Mr Frederick Fielder
Mr John Edmonds
Mr Trevor Tipple MBE
Mr John Swindells